Tuesday 13 September 2016

FEELING HOT, HOT, HOT! (ANYONE FOR SQUASH?)!


On a day when it was going to hit 24 degrees it seemed crazy to be making soup, but inspired by my hero Nigel Slater - whose eloquent writing I would love to emulate - and Deliciously Ella, I decided to have a go at turning a glut of patty pan squash into something to put into the freezer to store for the months ahead.  Makes me sound like a squirrel!





Exuding warmth provided by a dose of smoked paprika, turmeric, cumin and coriander and incredibly vivacious in colour, even he who pronounces soup for old folk cannot fail to enjoy this one after a day's fishing out in the cold.



I didn't add the cayenne, the coconut milk or the wine like Ella just vegetable stock.  However I did make sure I caramelised all the vegs as Nigel suggested (makes them sound like friends!!)  Just mix and match the ingredients in both recipes and I assure you it will certainly warm the cockles!
 
As I post this it is now the hottest September day since 1911 and none of you will be able to face the thought of soup but come the weekend the weather will be back to normal again!






No comments:

Post a Comment