Saturday 10 September 2016

OUT OF THIS WORLD!




Every time I go to the garden and peek underneath the green canopy vibrant yellow other worldly flying saucers appear to have landed  time and time again.  This has been happening since July and we are now in early September and it never ceases to amaze me how just a handful of seeds has yielded so much wonderful produce!   It is like it will never stop!  They are increasing in size too and sadly I send pictures by email to show him the comparison against a teaspoon!!
 
 
 
 It is a constant challenge trying to find different ways of using them
Referring to several recipes on the internet I have taken to stuffing them to serve with a barbecue although they would happily accompany other meals too I'm sure.
Cut off the tops of the patty pans and scoop out the middle (save this for later).  While you have other vegetables steaming pop the squash on the top tier. 
 

If you are preparing a day ahead these can happily go into the fridge till the next day.  A little water will accumulate in the patty pans but just tip this out.
I fry off a little packet of pancetta with some onion and garlic until crisp - then crumble a crust from your wholemeal loaf into breadcrumbs and add a couple of handfuls of parmesan cheese.  Add the squash you had left over and then stuff  the patty pans and cook for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees in a fan oven. 
 
 
Perfect!

If any of my regular readers need some patty pans to try this one out just email me - I have plenty to give away!

No comments:

Post a Comment