Thursday 3 November 2016

HAND ME DOWN

A hand me down recipe from a member of my food club has just produced a simple spicy rice dish and used up some of the remaining courgettes from the garden.  I cannot believe that I am still picking vegetables and using them in recipes to encourage seasonal eating when the clocks go forward tonight and  fireworks sparkle in the misty landscape as I write.
 
 
To make the sausage jambalaya brown a pack of Lincolnshire sausages (they need to be cut in half).

 
Then add an onion, , two cloves of garlic, chilli powder and a couple of teaspoons of turmeric and eight ounces of brown rice and fry till the rice is opaque.  Add a large tin of tomatoes and three quarters of a pint of stock and after bringing to the boil simmer for 20 minutes.  Add half a red pepper, a sliced courgette and 100grams of mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
This is where the recipe and I differ - my rice - as always happens when I cook dishes like this - was not cooked - so I added more hot liquid twice from the kettle and gave it another ten minutes.   Then we are ready to serve


- and the good thing is there is very little washing up as everything is cooked in one pot!




No comments:

Post a Comment