Tuesday 9 August 2016

GETTING FRUITY TWO!

Viewers of the post 'Getting Fruity' may be wondering by now which other summer fruit is one of the front-runners in our house.  (Or perhaps they are happily out getting a suntan in the garden instead!, or indeed getting a life!!)

Tying for first place the humble gooseberry - traditionally turned into a divine cheesecake - I love it so much I am salivating as I write - and joy of joys it can be frozen to be enjoyed with visitors as well. 
 
 This recipe also harks back to one of my oldest cookbooks, 1000 Freezer Recipes, published by Octopus Books, so tatty that it no longer has its cover, pages are falling out and bits of the index are tucked into the front, some are gone forever! 
 
Everyone's favourite bread pudding recipe is in there as well, but that's one to look forward to another day.
It says the cheesecake serves eight but as we get greedier I think probably six is a better estimate.

When I made it this weekend the mixture seemed to go on forever so I popped the remainder in some pretty ramekins from Poundland.  These can then be sprinkled creatively with biscuit crumbs when they come out of the freezer to make an upside down version of the cheesecake (I would use the word  deconstructed if I was being fashionable!) or alternatively whip up a few shortbread biscuits and dunk in for utter deliciousness!




 
 
 
  • Crush four ounces of digestives and mix with two ounces of marg and two ounces of Demerara sugar.
 
  • Stew one pound of gooseberries for a very short while (the recipe says to use uncooked but I think they need a little cooking.)  It suggests rubbing them through a sieve or pureeing them in a blender but I don't do any of this, I just add them to three ounces of sugar and half an ounce of dissolved gelatine.  I used three leaves on this occasion.  Just soak them in cold water and add to the mixture.
 
  •  Then beat in ten ounces of cream cheese, I always use a light version, and fold in a quarter pint of double cream which has been lightly whipped.  Spread over the biscuit base and chill.  This makes great individual cheesecakes if you have some of the metal rings in your kitchen cupboard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment