Friday 12 August 2016

IN A PICKLE!

My first forays into the world of chutney making, planned to use up a glut of green tomatoes, were unsuccessful and totally unforgettable for all the wrong reasons!  Pungent vinegary aromas that had spurted from the pressure cooker hung in the air in the house for days and after all that effort the end product was pretty inedible and not to everyone's liking anyway.
Fortunately when I nervously decided to give it one  more go several decades later it was worth it.
Chunky courgette chutney, given a kick with a couple of good shakes of chilli flakes was a great accompaniment to sizzling sausages on the barbecue. 
 
 
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8062/courgette-chutney.aspx

 I used half the amount of courgettes, vinegar, sugar and mustard but kept everything else to the same measurements to give the chunky effect.  It didn't need salt either as the chilli flakes and mustard  added plenty of flavour.

2 comments:

  1. I've just made this :) but instead of green pepper I used three jalapeƱo peppers, and a couple of other green chillies too for good measure! It's very zingy and certainly has added some sparkle to and otherwise plain cheese sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to give it a try this way myself - have plenty of surplus chillis - let me know how long it keeps for.

      Delete