Tuesday 18 October 2016

THE LAST HURRAH




The mange tout are having a last hurrah at the garden.  As I pluck them from their curly tendrils their unique fragrance makes me reminisce about how the summer seemed endless as a child and  reminds me of hours  of contentment as I sat in the garden shelling peas for my Mum before dinner.

  The recipe I make calls for sugar snaps but I substitute the mangetout and use some chillis from the allotment too. 



 Their startling colour shouts out at you each time you walk up the path almost as if they are calling 'pick me, pick me!'
 
This  blog mixes and matches two BBC Good Food recipes.  The Thai-style duck recipe no longer appears on the website so unfortunately I can't provide a link.  I marinated two duck breasts in 2tsp soy sauce, 2tsp rice wine, 2tsp sesame oil and 2tsp of cornflour for 15 minutes and then stir fried until cooked adding a stick of lemongrass towards the end of cooking.

 
As per the following link I also marinated a fillet of salmon

and then used the fish recipe to create the gorgeous aromatic noodles to go with both dishes.  On  that particular day I didn't have any pak choi or spinach but none of that matters the secret of having fun with cooking is to experiment.


 The flavours just sing from the plate - you can almost taste the essence of the dish just by looking at the photographs! 
I have to say it might be simpler and a lot less washing up if we both liked duck!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment